Fish is a good source of proteins and minerals. Its availability means that it can be integrated in common diets. It can be cooked in a number of different ways; like baking, frying and much more mouth watering ways. One of the best species of fish that is easy to cook is the northern pike. Found in northern Minnesota, USA and Canada, pike is a very enjoyable type of fish that can be prepared in a number of ways and still be delicious. But first, there?s some little preparation it must undergo: removing of the Y-bones.
To produce a tantalizing pike recipe meal, clean and bone the pike while it is still fresh. First, begin by filleting the fish, removing the rib bones. Clean it thoroughly so as to reveal the thin line of bones between center line and the top of the fillet. Those are the Y-bones which must be removed. To begin the removal process, use the tip of the knife to make a cut just above the top of these lines of bones. The tip of the knife will start touching the bones where they will turn in the direction of the pike?s back. It?s advisable not to cut through them but follow this line of bones as they turn towards the top of the fillet. When the line of bones is exposed from one side, slip the knife under the row of bones and kindly follow the same angle by cutting the bones from the opposite side. The pike is now done and can be cut into slices of different sizes; thirds is usually best for most recipes.
One way to cook a pike recipe and reduce the amount of fat it absorbs is shallow frying. Try out this recipe for the most marvelous meal ever.
- 2 northern pike fillets (2 pounds/ 1 kg)
- 2 cup(500 ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Oil for shallow frying
- Fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ginger and pepper to taste
- First make sure there aren?t any Y-bones in the pike fish, after confirmation cut the each fillet into 3 pieces.
- Soak the pike slices in a mixture of 1 cup of milk and salt for at least 3 hours.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl, and then add the remaining milk.
- In a different bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, flour, salt, turmeric, ginger and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan suited for shallow frying.
- Remove the pike slices from the milk, and then dip in the egg mix.
- From the egg mix, roll the pike slices in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Making sure the oil is ready carefully lay the fish in the hot oil.
- Turn the pike slices from time to time until golden brown, remove and place on paper towels.
- Serve hot with fresh lemon.
This dish serves 2 and can accompany rice, mashed potatoes dishes. Also using a sauce will spice it up more. ENJOY!!